|With the expansion of
computerization, plain language descriptions of
products, services need to be replaced by codes that are
usable in all trade and industry sectors world-wide.
EAN International has developed a system of numbers that
guarantees unique and unambiguous identification. These
numbers provide a common language in which
manufacturers, exporters, importers, wholesalers and
retailers can communicate information regarding the
goods or services they trade.
Product numbers are represented by bar codes which
can be read by scanners throughout the supply chain, and
provide accurate information for improved management.
Items that are scanned at the retail point of sales are
called retail units, while items traded between
companies are called trade items.
Characteristics of EAN numbers
- They are unique: a separate unique number is
allocated for each unit.
- The EAN number in itself is the key to access a
database, which contains precise information on the
- They are secure: EAN numbers include a check
digit which guarantees secure data capture.
The Numbering of Retail and Trade items
EAN numbers identifying retail/trade items may be
represented by a bar code symbol.
This data carrier allows the identification number to be
machine read thus enabling automatic data capture
(scanning) and data processing.
Benefits for consumers
Consumers benefit in the following ways:
- In a retail scanning store, customers are served
more quickly at the checkout.
- They receive itemized receipts that identify
each item purchased and its price. This makes it
easier for consumers to compare prices between
- Scanning and EDI leads to better store
management and less customer inconvenience due to
products being out of stock.
- Price errors at the checkout are greatly reduced
due to the elimination of manual price entry.
- The efficiencies and savings made by
manufacturers and retailers though the use of
bar-coding, scanning and EDI are passed on to the
consumer through lower prices and better service.
- Fill in EAN Application Form and sign it.
- A copy of the company’s registration certificate
in the Ministry of Industry & Trade (clearly
indicating its legal status) has to be submitted
with the application form.
- Registration fees are paid yearly to EAN
Association as follows:
- Entrance fees (75) JDs. This is a one time
payment on first registration.
- New Vision’s fees (70) JDs. This is a one
time payment on first registration.
- Annual membership fees are of 3 categories
based on the company’s legal status as follows:
- (85) JDs for sole proprietorships,
general partnerships, limited partnerships &
limited partnerships in shares.
- (150) JDs for limited liability
companies, charitable societies, and
- (300) JDs for public shareholding
companies, government and public agencies